Black bean are considered nutritional powerhouses, which are rich in plant-based protein, fiber, and antioxidants. These Black Bean Burgers are perfect veggie burgers that are MUCH lower in fat and cholesterol than a traditional ground beef burger. Easy, crunchy, and tasty.
Homemade Black Bean Burgers
PRE TIME: 30 min
COOKING TIME: 20 min
TOTAL TIME: 50 min
- 2 Cans Black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup Finely chopped bell pepper (1/2 of a pepper approx.)
- 1 cup Finely chopped yellow onion (1/2 of a large onion approx.)
- 3 Large Garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1.5 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs or oat flour
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese (skip if vegan)
- 2 Large Eggs (see note for vegan substitution)
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (see note for vegan & vegetarian version)
- 2 tbsp. Ketchup, mayo, or BBQ sauce
- A pinch of salt & pepper
- Olive oil or grapeseed oil to grill
- Iceberg lettuce leaves, as needed
- Tomato sliced, as needed
- Sliced Jalapenos, as needed
Preheat the oven to 163 °C/325 °F. Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out.
Meanwhile, sauté olive oil, chopped pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Gently blot some of the moisture out with a paper towel. Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, Worcestershire, ketchup, salt, and pepper). Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. Mash with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
Form into patties – about 1/3 cup of mixture in each. You can help yourself with a ring mold or cookie cutter on parchment paper. TIP: Use a spray can of olive oil to grease the ring for easier release. Let the patties set in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour before baking.
Baking the patties: Place patties on a parchment paper-lined a baking sheet (or squares of parchment paper for each patty for easier handle – see video) and bake at 375 °F/ 191 °C for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total.
Serve with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Like This
Increase Happiness See all
Sleep Better See all
Reduce Stress See all